36-round reversible-block cartridge pouch
is copied from an original in the Canadian War
Museum. Attention to detail has been key in the reproducing of this item.
The pouch flap is rough-side-out and the tab has been blind stitched. Inside the
original the flap has been left natural, so too with our replica.
from the original is the hand woven leather button which has been recreated from
surviving example. The original studied had a block made of maple, like our
reproduction, and the block's leather flaps were made of doeskin.
entire pouch is handmade including the buckles.
On the over 200-year-old
original the linen stitching seems to have been turned to its whitish
However on careful examination of the non- exposed areas, the
stitches is blackened by either blacking ball, or blacking mixed in the threads
while it was being sewn.
Therefore all of the stitching on the original
has been done in black.
style of pouch was used during the American Revolution along with a couple of
other styles of cartridge boxes.
It is commonly referred to the 1777
"Rawle Pouch" because of a patent on its design by that supplier to
the British Army (the Patent itself encompasses a number of other pouch designs
as well) .
In 1784 a new pattern was
introduced into the British Army.
However this pattern slowly fell out of
favour, and the 36 round pouch made a come back in the late 1790s.
resurgence is not quite known.
It is possible the Rawle's patent expired
allowing the Army to have them made more inexpensively.
Regimental inspection returns show
some regiments still carrying them in 1812.
This is surprising because a new 60 round pouch was
approved for the army in 1804.
Obviously the army tradition of wearing
items until they feel apart continued and it wasn't until 1813 that
all the regiments got the new pouch and this pouch finally disappeared.
This pouch closes with the proper leather button
The use of a brass
stud in approved British
Army pouches did not happen until 1817.