(leather strap included!) SOLD OUT
available is this beautiful reproduction of a British Army Wooden Canteen
complete with the Board of Ordnance (BO) and broad arrow branded marking.
Designed after a surviving original from the War of 1812, this canteen painted Ordnance blue
and the leather strap is
wooden canteen was first officially sanctioned in 1793.
Sons, the main manufacturer, were recorded making over 200,000 of them by
That said there was still a mixture of tin and wooden canteens
available to the troops throughout the Napoleonic Wars as shown in military
Each wooden canteen came with a 68 inch long, 1 inch
wide leather strap with buckle for adjustment.
The strap was mounted
through the canteen's iron bails.
the War of 1812 British regiments and the Canadian militia were issued canteens
such as this one out of Commissariat stores leaving a garrison and were not
regimentally marked because they were expected to be returned.
was the case for regiments stationed in Great Britain.
troops serving in the Peninsular War, because of the lack of depots, had their
canteens purchased by their regiment from the Commissariat and therefore were
regimentally marked with white lead paint to show this new ownership.
the Waterloo campaign, because many of the regiments were coming from home
service in Great Britain, the majority of the canteens there would not have been
This is supported by an 1815 oil sketch by G. Jones
of two Foot Guardsmen which shows a canteen front-and-centre with no regimental
Scots Greys at Waterloo carrying Canteens without
hundreds of thousands of canteens made in the Napoleonic Wars seem to have meet
the needs of the British Army all the way up to 1854 when a new run of canteens
was ordered to meet the possible increase in demand because of the Crimean
The BO and arrow markings on these canteens were reduced
to a small marking stamp with the date of manufacture.
The Crimean War and
after would have saw a mixture of the two canteens in stores as the old stocks
were replaced with new ones.
In 1861 a new wooden canteen was approved of
that removed the bevelled edge and became similar to cheese box style used
infrequently by the US army.
The wooden canteen was abandoned
altogether in 1871, with the Italian-style water bottle being adopted by the